Serves 4, serve with rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 500g chicken thighs, diced (breast works too)
- 1 large tin coconut milk
- 120ml chicken stock (1 cube)
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour, mixed with a little water to blend
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in large pan. Add in all the spices and mix until blended.
- Add onion, garlic and diced chicken breast and cook for about 7 minutes until chicken is well coated and cooked on the outside.
- Stir in the coconut milk and chicken stock.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add a little cornflour mixed with a little water to obtain required thickness. Season to taste with salt.
I first tried this curry at a Christmas party in Dubai in 2013. The hosts had made a huge pot of the stuff – it’s really great option if you have lots of mouths to feed or want to meal prep! The original recipe had double the amount of chilli flakes, but we decided to halve this going forward since the party curry made most people’s eyes water!
There are lots of spices in this, but don’t be intimidated by it! Once you’ve bought them once, you’ll have them in your cupboard next time. Easy. Serve with rice. And a perhaps a cheeky naan. Enjoy!